The Liebster Award – Pay it forward
Like quite a few people, I have been noticing this ‘Liebster Award’ thing appearing throughout my social media timelines recently. Turns out it a nice blogging community chain-letter thing, where you are nominated by a fellow blogger to answer a series of questions, then set the challenge for a few other bloggers to answer your questions. A big thank you goes to Tookie Bunten (@tookiebunten on Twitter) (he designed the Social Hiking logo by the way) for nominating me in his blog post: http://walkwithtookie.com/the-liebster-award-pay-it-forward/. As a bit of fun, here are Tookie’s questions with my answers:
Answering Tookie’s Questions
1. Where do you spend most of your time outdoors?
Most of my time is spent in the countryside of Northamptonshire, Buckinghamshire and Bedfordshire – more specifically I spent a lot of time in Salcey Forest, Northamptonshire, which is just a mile or so from my house.
2. Favourite hill?
I do not visit hills enough to have a favourite, so I will have to say ‘the next one’, which is currently Pew Tor in Dartmoor. I also have a soft spot for Y Garn in Snowdonia, which was my first ever mountain.
3. Favourite spot to camp?
Anywhere – I do not camp enough so I still enjoy the novelty of the camping experience. The best place I have camped was on the shore of Llyn Cwellyn below Snowdon (on the camp site linked to The Cwellyn Arms – I practicality had the place to myself, and spent the evening drinking local real ale watching the sun go down.
4. Any burning desires?
I have lots of desires, but the one highest up my list is to get my back into working order – it has been four months since my last decent walk!
5. Favourite tipple?
My partner hates the smell of whisky, so I usually take some with me camping. My favourite tipple though has to be a pint of real ale.
6. Favourite song, poem or book?
Fell in love with The Song of Fire and Ice (known as Game of Thrones on TV) after an impulse buy in a railway station – have the series as books, kindle books, audiobooks and even the board games!
7. Compact camera or dSLR?
Neither – I am a happy snapper so mostly I just use my phone!
8. Funniest thing you’ve seen outdoors?
Not sure about funny, but got a bit nervous finding a knife embedded in a fence post on a hike on Bodmin Moor!
9. What inspires you to get outdoors?
I get a huge amount of inspiration from the tales, photos and enthusiasm of others from their outdoor adventures.
10. Outdoor hero or heroine?
Jilly Sherlock – not because of her amazing cycling trip around the world (impressive though it was), but the way she captured and shared moments of it and the contagious joy she gets from being outdoors.
11. Best joke?
Not the best, but the one I heard the most recently:
“A man goes to the zoo. There is only one animal and it is a dog. It is a Shih Tzu…….”
My Nominations & Questions
Like Tookie I am nominating five people (the minimum in the rules), but to be a bit different four of them are audio bloggers:
Finally I nominate @jillysherlock
1. What is your most treasured bit of kit?
2. Where is your favourite place outdoors?
3. Who is your favourite person / people to walk with?
4. What is your favourite walk?
5. Outdoor swimming – not a chance or yes please?
6. What first encouraged you to get outdoors?
7. Why audio? (Jilly – you can answer your own question!)
8. If money was no object, what item of kit would you buy?
9. What three things would you want with you if stranded on a desert island?
10. What is your next planned adventure (big or small)?
11. Do you prefer to be outdoors when it is baking hot or freezing cold?
As you see some of the rules have been bent a bit but not much.
If you have been nominated for The Liebster Award AND YOU CHOOSE TO ACCEPT IT, write (or record) a blog post about the Liebster award in which you:
1. thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog on your blog.
2. display the award on your blog — by including it in your post and/or displaying it using a “widget” or a “gadget”. (Note that the best way to do this is to save the image to your own computer and then upload it to your blog post.)
3. answer 11 questions about yourself, which will be provided to you by the person who nominated you.
4. provide 11 random facts about yourself.
5. nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award, who have a less than 1000 followers. (Note that you can always ask the blog owner this since not all blogs display a widget that lets the readers know this information!)
6. create a new list of questions for the blogger to answer.
7. list these rules in your post (You can copy and paste from here.) Once you have written and published it, you then have to:
8. Inform the people/blogs that you nominated that they have been nominated for the Liebster award and provide a link for them to your post so that they can learn about it (they might not have ever heard of it!)
The rules also state I need to provide 11 random facts about myself (although I notice the others skipped this ;))…. so here goes:
1. I love elephants, but have never seen one in the wild
2. I am fairly scared of spiders (and slightly of the dark)
3. My favourite colour is a dark red
4. I do not like beer that has a grapefruit after taste
5. I own more tents than the number of times I have gone camping in the last 12 months
6. I love castles
7. I make a pretty good chilli
8. I prefer brown sauce to red sauce
9. My favourite smell is christmas (cinnamon, clove and orange)
10. I love maths
11. I prefer audiobooks to books